Sunday, October 18, 2009

winter in October

This fall has not seemed like fall yet. It has snowed already in October. I typically love this time of year, but the snow has set me back a little.

It is all melted now, and this weekend has been delightfully nice, but not alot of ambition to go outside and get anything accomplished, since it's my weekend to work. I have the next 2 weekends off, and most of the week now, to get outside. I hope the weather stays nice and fall like. The snow can hold off for a few more weeks anyway. Lots of yard work to get cleaned up and things put away for winter is fast approaching.

Talking about winter, it seems as though we've been in the flu season for months, the way the kids in the schools have been sick already. Bailey had the flu virus the end of September already. Bailey is usually pretty healthy, if he gets a stuffy nose for a few days, that's about all he's had in years. He does have to deal with his headaches fairly regularly, and once or twice a year will get sick to his stomach because of a migraine, but nothing flu related has ever surfaced for him in a very long time. It hit him pretty hard this year already with a fever, tired, stuffy nose and coughing, not to mention many more headaches in a weeks time. He recovered after missing a full week of school. Still coughs off and on, so hopefully it stays away until he can get the flu shot later this week.
Hannah then got the influenza virus about 2 weeks later, after having a slight case of a cold the week before Bailey even got sick. She seemed to get over that quickly without a fever, and mild symptoms. Then after Bailey had it, it hit Hannah harder again. All the same stuf as Bailey had, fever, coughing, tired, but she had severe tummy aches, and there was a day where she wouldn't eat or drink, high fever, and then her tummy aches were bad enough that she started throwing up.

Bailey was easy to take care of, he just laid on the couch, drank tons, ate some, took his meds when I offered them....even the cough meds which he hated, he took and then just drank something to get rid of the taste. He passed the time watching TV ,playing video games and working on his massive amounts of homework.
Hannah on the other hand, refused to take any meds--so she had a fever longer, coughed more, and wouldn't take the Tamiflu the doctor prescribed for the virus. She seemed to feel better on her own time without the meds which I'm glad for, and even though she is also still coughing, feels much better after about a week as well. It was a short week at school last week, so she only missed 3 days, and had Thurs, Fri and now Monday off of school to continue to get better. She also will get the flu shot this week, and have her 8 yr old check up. She lost some weight being sick, and just that few pounds is so dramatic on her body. She was almost 53 pounds at her diabetes check up the week before and when I took her in to be checked when she got sick, she was back down to 50 lbs. After her fever was gone, she perked up, and started back drinking and eating some. I have to watch her more closely, frequent blood sugar testing, and avoiding insulin, until I know she will eat. Fluids have to be carb free, unless I know she is low, which most times the sickness will cause increased BS. She stayed pretty steady in the normal range since she wasn't consuming many carbs. Once she started eating again I had to keep more on top of things again. The TV didn't occupy her for very long, and she was bugging me that she was bored. She is more of a hands on, play with me kid, so we had to come up with ideas to keep her occupied, even though I wanted her to rest and take naps, that wasn't her idea of keeping occupied.
So seemlingly things are better now, and I hope it stays that way for awhile.

Hockey is in full swing for Bailey and he has practice "seems" like everyday. Team tryouts are coming up the week of the 25th. They will be having a Peewee A and a C team this year. Bailey is not sure this year where he will land, he's kinda in the middle could go either way. Some of his friends will be on the C team, and he also thinks if he's on the A team it will be a more frustrating year, but yet a good challenge. He's been playing with all these kids for 6 years, but he's the 1st yr peewee, so some of the kids are a year older, and played Peewee last year.... we'll see how it goes. I just hope for a fun year for him.


Hannah got her ears pierced a week ago Sat. My parents were in town for grandparents day at school and that weekend we went to the mall in St Cloud, among other places. When she found out we'd be going to the mall, I suggested-- like I've been kidding for awhile, "wanna get your ears pierced?". She looked at me, and decided pretty quickly, yes she did want to. I was shocked, and kinda just said ok, we'll see. She continued to get excited to do it. She was very nervous-- but went though with it and grandma and grandpa even got to witness it. I avoided eye contact with her after she was up in the chair, because I didnt' want her to change her mind that far into it, like she's done twice in the past. I just stood in front of her held her hands...... 1,2,3.....it's done. She teared up, but was brave. She was happy, before we left the store. She loves her new earrings.




Just a goofy pic of Hannah's hair all braided-- and then gets kinky the next morning. :)


random picture of Bailey and the pets hanging out :)

No comments: