Friday, May 21, 2010

Life after a diabetes cure??

Hmmmm. Life after a cure? It's hard to imagine.

I think on the day of a cure, I'd want to pack everyone up in the car and head to the beach. We would eat, play in the sand and swim all day long. I would throw a big bag of chips down on the blanket and let her have at it.

I would never want to look at another carb count for the rest of my life. I would never again count out 55 fish crackers. I would throw away all but one set of measuring cups. I would fill our top kitchen cabinet with kitchen supplies instead of diabetes or pump supplies.

"Feeling low" would simply mean that she was sad. And when I'd find her crying, the first thing I'd do, instead of reach for her meter, would be to hug her.

An invitation to a sleep over would no longer send chills down my spine. A trip to get ice cream or go to a movie would be much less intimidating and buffet style meals would be friendly again.

Maybe spontaneous adventures would return to our lives. Maybe. I'm just saying, I have difficulty with this one, diabetes or not. There is enough to plan for when leaving home, much less remembering if we have all her supplies.

freedom..... away from blood tests, hurts and anxieties, needle pokes and bruises and always being attached to a pump, connecting and disconnecting for activities and swimming, testing and more testing-- "not again, didn't we just test 3 hours ago why do we have to do it again".

No more wondering what this disease is doing to her body long term.

Maybe someday....

No comments: