UPDATE:
It's been 7 weeks today since my accident. I don't like to keep dwelling on it, and soon it will be a memory, but I am still healing so it's still fresh for me. I have been on the natural approach to healing, and I'm really not sure why, but the more I learn about it, the more sense it makes to me....it's a whole nother world, and kinda overwhelming since it's not what I am used to. I try to explain to my husband the benefits my chiropractor and their views has given me so far, and he isn't buying into much of it, and more so makes a joke out of it. He's a hard one to change his thinking. I am just touching the surface of it all, but at least I am open to new ideas to improve myself and health. Have been down from twice a week to going to my chiropractor once a week now, for the last several weeks.
I don't think medical doctors would have been much help to me anyway during this time... and at least this way I feel "taken care of" without the use of drugs to keep me comfortable. I took 2 full bottles of Arnica Montana, which is a natural remedy to help reduce swelling and inflammation. I'm not postive how much it actually helped, since I never have been though something that caused so much bruising and swelling, to know if I healed faster with or without it...it was cheap, so if I think it worked or not, well the price was right anyway. I felt better taking something to help with some swelling and soreness that wasn't some medication that causes constipation or diarrhea or some other side effect.
I have been out of "rest mode" for several weeks now too. I find myself not able to sit around as much and keeping up with my personality to keep things organized keeps me busy around the house. I have been on walks with the dog, to workout at the fitness center several times and back to working at the hotel part time. I still don't have a exercise routine down, which makes me get down on myself alot. It's something I really want to get back to, but I have things holding me back...I will keep trying.
My swelling/bruising is mostly gone in my knees. I know in one of my posts early on, that I thought my knees were doing good and that it would take a few weeks to heal. I kinda laugh at how I thought that, since I am still struggling with my knees. Even though walking is going good now-- excessive walking makes them sore, I found that out after attempting the Mall of America over MEA break.
I have had pretty minimal problems walking, stairs and bending since about the 2nd week post accident...BUT kneeling that is another story. I find myself in situations all the time where I would plop down to kneel and then realize I'm still not ready. There is still some tissue damage below my knee cap, which when it is touched lightly it feels numb, and when it's bumped is sore. It was very painful to kneel or touch them at first and unthinkable, so I didn't do it, and now I can finally put pressure on my left knee and and just starting to try my right knee more often. As the weeks go by, each week seems to be getting better. It's been 7 weeks though, and I still can't kneel for more than 5 seconds. Since I can put slight pressure on my knees for a few seconds, it is consistant progress...just slower progress than I initally thought. My chiropractor (Dr Chris) has mostly been working on my right knee and right hip and neck. He says my back is looking good, but continues to make some minor adjustments.
Besides my knees taking it's own sweet time to heal, my neck is my only other area of not being the way it used to be. Pretty much since the accident there has been off and on tension-soreness in my neck and shoulders (upper back)....never had any pain or terrible discomfort. Have had neck "grinding" or just noises that sound like my neck is grinding when I turn it side to side...it has never went away. Dr Chris rotates each visit which way he adjusts my neck, but nothing has seemed to make a difference....YET. Still waiting for the day my neck doesn't make any noise. It's mostly annoying.
I have a feeling my treatments with Dr Chris are winding down, and the once a week appointments may get to be further apart. I am doing that good. I am hoping to have more of a plan of attack on the workouts this next week because my weight is getting depressing.
I should start to tackle the yard work too as the weather gets colder I am reminded that winter and snow is just around the corner.
No comments:
Post a Comment