Monday, February 2, 2009

Grand Rapids weekend

We had a good time in Grand Rapids over last weekend for Bailey's hockey tournament. We left Friday morning just before 11am arriving in Grand Rapids right around 3pm...so it was about a 4 hr trip with one stop for lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings in St Cloud. ( kids were happy to miss school).
The team stayed at the AmericInn , which was especally nice for us, as I get a 50% discount there and we got a jacuzzi suite. We went to the grocery store and got a few things for the weekend and had a light supper before his game that night.
Bailey's first game was then Friday night at 7pm. They played a Superior, WI team, and lost a good game 4-6. Bailey came through and scored all 4 goals. He was the star of the game. His first hat trick, plus one, at the squirt level. It was quite exciting thinking they might pull together as a team and possibly win. It wasn't meant to be though.
Saturday was a long slow day, which was kinda relaxing. Wasn't rush-rush. The boys game on Sat wasn't till 5:45pm, so we had all day to do whatever. We slept in, had a nice breakfast at the hotel, did some swimming, went to Subway for lunch, some went to a movie, some of the boys went with Steve and Doug to go outdoor skating for about an hour--(it was a beautiful warm day), some went bowling.....my parents and Hannah and I just took advantage of everyone being out and about and used the pool and hot tub. We had another light supper of microwave dinners or sandwiches for supper and then went to his next game againest Champlin Park. They were a pretty fast team and we only got one goal to their 6. Another tough loss. So then we knew our Sunday game was gonna be at 8AM!!
That didn't detur some of the parents though, while most of the kids and I were in bed by 9:30-10pm, some of the parents stayed up until 3am talking and drinking. Steve was one of those parents---he came up to bed after 3am, and then got up at
6am!!!! hummmm..... I felt anti social afterwards, but glad I got the extra sleep when we had to get up in morning. Steve enjoys being more social than I do, and I think he enjoyed himself, although the lack of sleep, driving 4 hrs home, and then having to get up and work today after the weekend, might be taking a toll on him soon.
At the arena at 8am on a Sunday morning for hockey seems a bit not right, but we made it, and the boys had more energy than I thought they would. I still was yawning, even after sleeping all night. The team had the toughest game yet vs Edina. They were a very physical team which got our boys all ryled up. The were steaming with frustration by the end of the 2nd period. Luckily the Zamboni came out to clean the ice and gave the coaches time to calm down our team. We weren't able to score at all, and lost 0-6. Lots of penalities not called. Just a fast team that had more control over the puck...they boys tried hard, but just couldn't handle the Hornets of Edina.

Steve and Bailey stayed at the rink to watch more games, and we went back to pack up the room and check out. Steve and Bailey ended up stayed to watch the championship game at 1:30 and Hannah and I went back to Dassel with my parents. We ate lunch first in Grand Rapids at A&W, and then headed home, making it back about 4:30pm just in time for the Super Bowl. Bailey and Steve didn't care much to watch it, but were home by 7pm to catch the end.

Took some pictures this weekend, and my camera did me well. I got some good shots I think. Here's just a sample of some hockey pictures.

Bailey #24-- he has the puck





Bailey as center in a face off


cool action shot


one of Bailey's goals!!!

No comments: