Monday, March 9, 2009

Another journey in Hannah's life.

Hannah has had a few weeks or so, of off and on tummy aches, and burning while peeing. I have been putting off the doctor, because it has been so off and on. The first UTI she had, was the day we left for Mexico, and that she seemed to get over pretty fast with the meds. I took her into the doctor though pretty quick, within
12 hrs of her symptoms, since I didn't want to take any chances in Mexico and hardly expected her being prone to bladder infections now.

This time I have been letting it go on longer since she, for the most part is acting herself. This weekend, she complained more often about tummy aches, not enough to keep her down and out though, still herself, and she is still eating ok, not drinking well at all though. Sunday night was probably the worst as I was working, Steve said she laid down most of the night and went to bed with her tummy hurting. She had some crazy blood sugar levels yesterday as well.
So I figured now was the time to take her in to see the doctor.

I made a 2pm appt for today and got her out of school early. Her urine sample was good, so not the bladder infection I was expecting. What doctor thinks it is--constipation.
She said it's fairly common in her age, and with having diabetes is also another thing she is prone to. uuggh.
I almost didn't believe her, .....as I am trying to think of the last time she had a bowel movement, if I would even know that. Also I thought about her recent bouts of a sort of diarrhea, small amt. of blood on the toilet paper that she keeps bringing to my attention, and all the tummy aches and the doctor also saying that the bladder wall can get irriated with constipation causing some burning.
Makes sense I guess. I think the UTI sounds more definative and easier to deal with.

Found these signs online and it does start to make some sense.

Signs that children are constipated are these:
**Vague abdominal pain around the navel (belly button) or even severe attacks of abdominal pain
**Decreased appetite, nausea, or vomiting
**Urinary incontinence, frequent urination, or bedwetting
**Reappearing urinary tract infections

So we are suppose to treat her with Miralax, 1/2 capful in a 8-12 oz drink. I am so hesitant to do this, since I am not convinced that she is full of poop.
Her Dr suggested an x-ray to confirm diagnosis and I almost wished she would have went forward with that just so I knew. She kinda blew it off as simple to deal with.
So we'll see how the next few weeks are with some help from Miralax and more fiber to her diet!! Hannah is happy about the suggestion of popcorn from her doctor.

Just another journey in Hannah's life.

No comments: