

Hannah was very nervous on that early morning, her nerves and excitment got the best of her and it was a rough start out the door. After I got Bailey's first day of school pic he was out the door and off to the bus stop. He's getting too big-- 6th grade-- I just can't believe it. I wanted to get a picture of both of them together, but with Hannah's increasing anxiety I knew that wasn't gonna happen.
I tried to threaten her with, " all mom's get pictures of their kids on the 1st day of school".
She didn't care.
She did pose for me, but as the picture clearly shows she was not a happy camper.


She was so worried she wouldn't know where to go or what to do. I reassured her she would know and everyone at school is so helpful, and wouldn't leave a 2nd grader behind with nowhere to go.
Even though I do have a shy girl, new situations usually don't bother her as much as Bailey. I said I would walk with her to school and help her, but she didn't want me to. She shed a few tears, gave lots of hugs and then finally within the last minute possible, she headed out. We blew kisses, we waved, and I watched out the window as she headed off to 2nd grade.(deep breath). After she was half way down our street, she turns around and comes running back. I thought she changed her mind and wanted me to come with her, so I quick started to change my clothes, as I was in jammie attire. She comes running in the door and she said I forgot to pack her a lunch. Poor girl. She had agreed she was having hot lunch and forgot, so off she went again. This time I told her to hurry, walk fast-- didn't want her late on the 1st day of school. She made it just in time for the first day of school celebration on the playground. She came home that day feeling much better about things and likes 2nd grade alot. She did come home with high blood sugar, and was quite irritable later on for grandma Linda, as I had to go to work that night. For an entire week as her routine was getting settled, she continued with high blood sugars almost continually (can't be good for her little body). Finally today, I think we have her doses figured out, I made small adjustments all week. Yesterday was her first normal numbers day 9 days. I almost called the diabetes nurse to get some help with her doses, but it does take a few days after each adjustment to see if it will work. I just kept holding off, making a few changes every 2-3 days or so.
I hope it continues.
She goes in for her 3 month check up on Oct. 7th, and we'll walk through the last 3 months step by step. I hate what diabetes is doing to her body long term, yes we get through each day, dilegently trying to keep on top of this, but it's hard keeping it all straight, and wondering what effects this disease will have on her in the future. Also need to make an appt. for her 8 yr old check up and flu shots for us all. I'm hoping for an uneventful winter season, but with diabetes, the flu, her breathing issues for the last 2 winters, and the H1N1 virus circulating, I can only hope and pray for an uneventful season.
****************************************************************
Bailey has been adjusting to 6th grade all week now, and seems to be going with the flow. He's been coming home worn out as well. No headaches though, since Sept 3, but that was only his 5th or 6th one all summer. He used to get that many plus more in one month. This new medication really has done it's job and I am SO happy we are not dealing with headaches every week. He still hasn't gained much weight back, but seems to have a normal appitite again. For a growing boy though, he really doesn't eat much. We will go see his doctor in October again for a check up as this medication has side effects that we need to keep on top of. Things are really going well with him in all aspects.
He is all signed up for hockey and ready to go with new skates. We have a "PeeWee" this year-oh no! he is able to "check" this year. Hockey is hockey, and I expected this, but I still will be worried about him. Steve will not be coaching this year, so it should be a fun year, being hockey parents and watching together. I'll need Steve's shoulder to bury my head in when Bailey gets checked.
No comments:
Post a Comment