I have my own house now, my own family and I loved the idea of being able to choose my own pets and told her that as well, when she is grown and has her own house she can choose her own pets.... HA!!
I choose Lou, but wasn't able to name him, that was left to my 4 year old son and actually Lou's registered name is Bailey's Captian Lou.
My cats Keaton and Wylie are my babies, they were mine, I named them. Steve made sure I had Keaton for my own when he adopted him for me when I lived in an apartment. Keaton was at my school when I was studying to be a vet tech, I was responsible for him my last semester, and I learned from practicing procedures with/on him. I was also a part of his neuter and declaw surgery. I lost Keaton recently to kidney failure at age 18. I got him when he was 2. I miss Keaton dearly and there will never be another cat like him as close to my heart. Wylie I got when he was 7 wks old and was born in a barn -- a neighbor of the veterinarian I worked for in Minnetonka. He was such a wild kitten, thus how he got his name.
Wylie and Keaton grew up together and were buddies throughout the years, and he has changed since Keaton has been gone and spends his days upstairs in our bed. He is now 15 yrs. He used to lay with Keaton in the sun on the top of the couch. He will come down on occassion to eat, or to check things out. He is more active at night, as cats should be I suppose, and keeps busy hauling socks, cat toys and whatever else he can carry in his mouth, either up the stairs and lays them in the hallway or down stairs and drops them wherever..meowing the whole time, I guess letting us know and seems proud that he has done such a thing. I even had to hide all of Hannah's socks from a drawer under her bed as Wylie would be able to somehow get in there and there would be several pairs of socks hauled downstairs daily.
Our other 2 cats, Stella and Bamboo are sisters that showed up in our garage 2 years ago as 8 week old kittens. They were the cutest things ever, with polydactyl toes-- they have 5 toes on each paw and both kids were in love with them, despite their huge paws. I insisted they stay in the porch at first , they had ear mites and a upper respiratory infection. I said we were taking them to the shelter as soon as possible. HA!! Slowly.... or quickly, however you look at it, after a vet visit and being treated for ear mites we allowed them in the house and Hannah named them and that was that.
They are 2 very good cats, very easy going playful and they keep each other company. I love how they snuggle, play, and look out for each other. Sister's forever!!
Now, since Sat. we add into the picture Hannah's dream. Remember--- chihuahua. Somehow out of no where, I saw an ad for chihuahua's on the online sale site I visit often on Facebook. I was drawn to the fact that they were "older" chihuahua's...meaning they weren't just weaned and ready to go as 7-8 week old puppies-- these puppies were 4mo-1 yr old. This breeder typically keeps her pups past 12 weeks, and seaches for ideal homes for her "babies". She said it's hard to find good homes. I liked the idea of a several month old puppy and well..... the breed got my attention, and reminded me of Hannah. These dogs looked so sweet , just like my daughter. She has been through so much over the years with diabetes, and just wanted to seek out the chance to make a childhood dream come true. Things happened kinda fast and the breeder wanted to know more about potential families that were interested, so I explained our family, including our pets and my daughter's interest. We talked back and forth on FB for awhile and finally a phone call. Within 7-10 days of me seeing the photos we were meeting them half way-- in Alexandria, MN-- to see a few of the puppies that Hannah was interested in. Hannah could hardly wait when she knew we were going to look at them. The breeder brought 3 of them with her. 2 girls and a boy. Hannah fell in love with the small petite girl-- Cerena-- and it didn't take long for her to decide. Hannah used her birthday money and the chore money she had been saving up to buy her puppy and I had to chip in a little extra-- but all in all a good deal for a small breed pure bred dog. Was I ready for this...certainly not, did I feel a bit crazy-- certainly did. What did I get myself into. I am a vet tech and a animal lover-- how can I go wrong. It was a good decision and Hannah was so happy to finally have her chihuahua. Seeing them together melted my heart.
Hannah spent Sunday with her, pretty much either holding her taking her outside or trying to get her to play. She was pretty content in Hannah's arms and was pretty scared otherwise. By Monday and Tuesday when I spent the mornings with her, I let her explore more and she opened up big time. Her personality really came out. She is very playful, and was checking out everywhere. The cats are all scared of her for now, but are slowly coming out to check things out. She will bark at them and they will run away. Lou and Cerena, are very tolerable of each other. Lou just likes to make sure he doesn't miss out on attention, toys, or food. He will let her cuddle by him or climb on him if he is resting.
We are very happy that she is a part of our family.
No comments:
Post a Comment