Saturday, June 20, 2009

As summer swirls around us

As summer is in full swing and seemingly racing by, I find myself in a whirlwind of thoughts, activities, things to do, places to go, and just plain keeping up.

However, this transition into summer this year seemed to go pretty well. Usually I get a different feeling of craziness....but this time, it seemed to go more smoothly. I'm not sure why. Although as soon as school let out, we were off to North Dakota, to visit Steve and see the wonderful city of Minot ( Ha!), and our summer transition was sight seeing and hanging out someplace other than home.

It was nice, a change.

Kids still fight like cats and dogs, and it's hard to see that change anytime soon. Hannah gets on Bailey like a bossy little brat, she wants it her way, as any little princess would, and just no other talk about it will sufice. Poor Bailey tries to defend himself, which irritates Hannah all the more. Most of you can only imagine this as Hannah is the most sweetest, quiet, girl around most. Dealing with me and Bailey, however she turns into a monster. :) Of course we have our good moments and I cherish those, believe me. Silence is a good thing, having fun and getting along is wonderful, even though it may only last minutes at a time.

So onto summer. I'm excited.

I've accomplished alot over the past few weeks. The pool is up and running, that is not an easy thing to get set up, but I guess it could be worse, cuz I am able to do it myself, with instruction from my "princess" on how I should do it.
Hannah has been swimming in it once so far, and Bailey says he will not be in it. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure he'll change his mind...he cant' be too old for a pool!!!










I have been keeping up with yard work, as there is always ideas swirling in my head on what I can do outside. I spent a couple of warm days working in the garden, planting flowers, repairing grass with seed, cleaning up and revamping certain areas of our yard, watering, cutting grass-- which is seemingly right now neverending.
I forget to not take a shower in the morning, and end up taking 2 showers cuz I'm so dirty. Steve was kidding me the other day if I was gonna need a 3rd shower. HA!

The garage is my next task, it is filthy. It never stays clean after I clean it. I envy nice clean garages. Someday. We bought a new garage door, because the other one was literally falling off the hinges, and was breaking in every spot, so that may help in the looks department. I asked my dear hubby after he bought the garage door if he knew how to put it in, and he replied with a solid-- nope! Should be interesting. He said he will get his dad over to hold the directions. Maybe they can talk it out and get it done right ....I'm sure I will have to help on this one.

We are leaving for WI on Thursday this week for my family's annual Christmas in June (or July--whenever it gets planned) on Saturday. Hoping to be able to go pick strawberries again this year on Friday. YUM!! The kids loved doing that. Party is at Lisa and Wil's house this year, they are the hosts. They are having a tailgate style party at their house and later we will all head over to the WI Timberrattler game (baseball). Bailey is going to be throwing out the 1st pitch. yea! When Lisa got the tickets, I guess there is an option with groups to have a kid throw out the first pitch, so Bailey agreed to do it. A fireworks display will be after the game as well. My grandpa had hip surgery a few weeks ago, so sadly they will not be able to make the game, but hopefully he can get comfortable enough to come to Lisa's for a bit. He's doing well, but sore.

Man-- by the time we come back, it will almost be the 4th of July already. I have to work that entire weekend, but am grateful for all the time off and flexibility I've been given with my job. I have a super manager who gives me so much flexibilty which I need right now. My kids are my priority and since I dont' have a job that pays well enough, I'd rather spend the summer with my kids and husband ( when he gets a day off that is). He will be going back up to North Dakota sometime in July, so we are also planning a trip back there, if it all works out, we'll be able to go to the ND State Fair the end of July.

Bailey has a doctor appointment tomorrow and will update on what's new in the headache department. There is good news and bad news, the good news is he hasn't had any headaches in a whole month, that is-- since his last headache on May 19 until June 19-- NOTHING. Unbelievable. He just had a small one yesterday after a busy day, warm day, didn't eat well day, and then went to a loud street dance day, and came home at 8:30pm with a headache. It went away in a matter of 15 min though after Motrin.
Since he's been on this medication (started May 4), he's had 4 headaches and 3 of them were in May when he was transistioning off the other med and onto this one. This news is awesome, BUT....the bad news is the new medication has a noticeable side effect, he is just not eating much. Decreased appitite. I've been noticing more now the weeks he hasn't been in school. He never is hungry much for lunch. He will eat some but not alot. Now lately he's been waking up in the morning and not hungry for breakfast either. He will eventually eat something, but again not alot. He still drinks good. So when I called in to the neurology clinic with an update, as to how this medication is working, I was excited to report very few headaches and almost forgot to mention the side effect. Then the nurse brought it up and he was due for a recheck appt, so I thought it would be best to talk to the Dr in person. I was hoping to hold off on driving in for an appt until closer to school starting, but he might be loosing too much weight for this drug to be effective or safe long term. I'm not sure yet if he is loosing weight or not, but I'll wait for the comparison weight at the doctor visit. I also am hoping to find out why he thinks this drug is helping his headaches. Could he be having mini seizures causing his migraines ? Is there any tests that could confirm anything or what else can be tried if this drug isn't safe. It sure has been a great couple of months with less headaches though.

Steve had a Happy Father's Day with the kids and Bailey's friend Holton, at Canterbury Park partaking in horse racing. Sounds like they all had a great day (while I had to work).
Happy Father's Day-- Dad I love u, and miss u and will see u soon :)
Steve you are the best daddy and am so glad our kids have you in their life. I love you.

No comments: