Monday, June 22, 2009

gonna eat some cake, cookies and ice cream and add a milk shake to that

Just a update from my last post:

Bailey had a re check doctor appt today at the Noran Neurology clinic in Minneapolis regarding his migraines/medication change. I wish they would have told me that the entire road that we have to turn on to get to the clinic was being tore up. uuggh. We just went up another block and made it around, but not without some stress in wondering if I'm going the right way and lots of traffic also trying to get around the blocked road. It all worked out just fine and we made it to the appt right on time. Bailey says not to worry that he's always behind schedule, and we wait anyway. Yup he was right, we waited about 15 min after getting there right on time.

Ok anyway-- so right to the point... Bailey has lost 5 lbs. on this medication, he went from 89 lbs to 84 lbs. 5 lbs doesn't seem like much, but on a kid it's pretty dramatic. That dose is not safe to continue. Dr B. lowered his dose on the medication, and we'll see if the appitite comes back some. He's says as long as it's working some on the headaches, we'll try a decrease on the drug first to see if the appitite comes back. That's how this entire last year and half has been with these medications, just trying things out to see what will work for Bailey.

He also said that he doesn't believe his migraines are seizure related and left it at that. I guess from what he has viewed and heard it makes sense, and I'm not looking to make this anymore than it is, i've just heard from a 2nd cousin who also has a daughter similar to Bailey's age, was diagnosed as a toddler after an abnormal EEG showed that small unnoticable seizures were causing her migraines. Since this seizure medication seems to be working I just thought.....well it doesn't matter right now, just seems kinda ironic. The medication he is now on has been proven to work in kids with migraines, it just depends on each individual and how their brain works. He said right out he doesn't know why this medication may be seeming to work, and may infact see improvement over a few months and be able to take him off of it. Which I guess now that I think about it, if it's working how do you know when to take him off of it for good? Hit and miss and try I guess.

It's been a good month, the best month in 5 years, and I hope and pray that it keeps working on the lower dose, and that my growing boy can pack on some pounds. Dr B told him that it's ok to eat cake, cookies, ice cream and milk shakes for awhile. :)

No comments: