Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My 3rd kid....Lou

Well if I dont' have one of the kids to talk about, I'll pick on our next closest thing, our dog, Lou.
He has decided to cost us some money, but he is worth it. (maybe not according to Steve).
A trip to Dr. A at the Kimball Vet and $106 later (which is actually probably $200 cheaper than most vets would have charged me), Lou has a issue with his allergies again.
We are able to keep most of his skin issues under control with benadryl and fish oil pills daily, twice a day as a matter of fact, for the rest of his life. Every once in awhile he will get some more severe skin reactions, hot spots, ear infections, skin irritations, etc. This was the first time in 6 years I've noticed him licking the bottoms of his paws though. Inbetween the pads he has developed an infection.
Cause: allergies. It was sore and red and I just noticed him licking them on Monday, so yesterday I was able to get him in to be seen. He looked at his paws, shaved the hair from inbetween the pads, and I will be applying ointment, he also ran a CBC on him just to check for all over body (systemic) infection, which wasn't the case. Just localized, and found allergy related cells in his blood work, so like always we know we are still dealing with allergies.
He'll be on Cephalexin (antibiotic) for 2 weeks and Pred. for 6 weeks along with his benadryl/fish oil. Goodness Lou. I know Pred. makes him drink more and pee more, which is always a nucience, but Cathy will take good care of him this weekend, while we go to WI.

No comments: