Our holidays have been a whirl wind. It came and went so fast..faster than usual, or so it seemed. I got to enjoy some time with my parents as they came to MN a little later this year and arrived on good roads on Monday. We have gotton some snow yesterday, and hope for good travel weather on Friday when they go home in the New Year.
I had to work Christmas Day night at the desk, and also have to work, tonight, New Years Eve till 10:30pm. They are hitting me with all the holidays this year. I guess I don't mind too much.
Bailey has a busy weekend with hockey coming up, besides having 2 games scheduled for the weekend, they put the kids in a tournament in Paynesville as well, for a game on Friday night, and then 2 games on Sat and 2 on Sunday...so a total of 5 games in 3 days !!! It's good experience for games for the kids, but we will all be hockey'd out after the weekend. I'll miss the Sat. night game in Litchfield, because I also work this weekend. Since Steve hasn't had much work this month, it's good I at least have some hours.
My mind has been overwhelmed with everything...there is so much circulating around me lately...it's not what I'm used to. Whether it's good or not so good there is just too much. Even though there has always been something occupying my time, there just seems to be less time lately.
Bailey is still having headaches, and just when I thought that maybe his medicine might be working, everything is being changed now. He had 2 headaches in October and 3 in November, so I hadn't called his doctor with an update, because I thought maybe it would stay around 2-3/ month and things were looking better. Now in December it went to 5, with a couple of them being more severe.
Not as concerning as in the past, but still it went up again. So I finally called in to his doctor, yesterday, to report the last 3 months. He decided that raising his dose on his current medication, wouldn't produce anymore results, he's reached the dose limit. So over the next 2 weeks we will "wean" him off that medication and start a new one on the 3rd week in January. He had a 6 mo. follow up appt. scheduled the end of January, that is now pushed back to the end of March after he has been on the new medication for 3 months.
Hannah on the other hand has been going through alot of emotions, and for the most part is handling all of her "new life" like a 7year old, most likely would. We have our good days and not so good days, almost to the extremes. I've been trying to take in all I can about diabetes, but then realize after a short time that my mind is still so overwhelmed and can't seem to focus on any more information. It would be nice to be invloved in the JDRF walk at the Mall of America on January 24....but it's all too soon for me to be so involved, when the last thing I want to think about is walking the MOA, with 18,000 people. It would be a sight to see, and hope to be involved with that in the future.
Hannah has gone from the, "I wanna help" phase last week, to seemingly tired of the whole diabetes situation and just wants it all done for her the last couple of days. She was getting better with the finger pokes and insulin, but now seems to be more vocal about it all again.
She is getting back to her old self with the food as well and is not eating all of her meals very well the past few days, but grandma and grandpa are here and that change in itself will mess up our routine. Her numbers have been low the past few days as a result of too much insulin for not eating all her food. We've cut back on the insulin ourselves, since we know she isn't eating everything.... but plan on calling the clinic soon for new dose changes if her numbers don't start to even out after they leave. She did have some good levels now the past few times, so we will adjust and play it by ear. Before school starts back up, we hope to have it sort of figured out. Diabetes, we have learned is not a perfect science. As Hannah adjusts now, and as her body grows and changes later on, we will be re evaluating her every 3months or more. We hope to go to St Paul once more on January 21, and then might be able to go to Minnetonka, to the Children's West Diabetes clinic for her check up's every 3 months, may save us some trouble of going all the way to St Paul....not much better, but a little.
I'm looking forward to next week now, trying to get back some normalcy, gonna try hard with my exercise and weight loss plan, and just looking forward to a Happy New Year.
A web site that I've found that I've enoyed looking at is called D-Life. (www.dlife.com ), they also have a TV show on Sunday nights, not sure on the channel, but it's on satallite/cable. I came across it one night while I was working, I watch some TV inbetween laundry loads, etc. and just by luck I found the show, talking all about diabetes, just a week or so after being diagnosed. The web site is very informative, supportive and such, with lots of good things to click on.
Everytime I'm on the site, I'm always finding a new spot to click on and find out different things.
Some other good sites are:
www.jdrf.com
www.childrensmn.org
www.diabetes.org
www.childrenwithdiabetes.com
HAPPY 2009!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment