Thursday, December 18, 2008

week in review

The last few weeks have gone by pretty quickly and I have one more day off of work before I go back for the weekend. I'm not sure of my housekeeping schedule for next week yet, but I will have a busy week regardless of maybe fitting some of that in yet. Christmas came up too fast this year....
Kids have school until Tuesday, which is also the day my parents come into town for Christmas. We decided to change Hannah's 2 week hospital follow up appointment from Tues to Wed. becasue she didn't want to miss her last day of school before break. So now though, we have to be at the diabetes clinic at Children's in St Paul by 9am on Wed.(christmas eve). I guess then she won't have to miss school and my parents are here to stay home with Bailey. I know we have more education meetings, and they will also meet with Hannah and see how her levels are doing and such. It's supposed to last up to 3 hrs. I'm sure we'll come home overwhelmed again.

I also work Christmas Day at 4pm, so not looking forward to that, and also the day after christmas at 4 again, but then have the rest of the weekend off.

Hannah is getting some better at all of this diabetes stuff and so are we. It's being accepted more by all of us, and it will still take some time. Hannah still will say at her blood sugar checks and insulin shots, that she "doesn't want to do it" !! and will repeat that over and over while wiggling around, she will let us do it, but not without letting us know that she is againest it all.
Her levels have been running pretty good,( much better than last week anyway) although they are still all over the place. I just want to see a good number each time. She is the best in the mornings, although at bedtime now she has been running a little low. The daytime numbers have been better too at school, and haven't got a call all week from the nurse. So all in all it's been a much better week, and hope to have each week get better. Different environments scare her, we have such a routine down at home and school now....so now I suppose it will be another thing to work on going places and having to incoorporate all this in other places and situations. It's ongoing education forever, as she grows and changes so will her diabetes.

Bailey has been busy with hockey and had his first game on Tuesday. They played River Lakes, which is Paynesville, Cold Spring and Richmond combined. They have gotton better by combining their teams this year, and although it was a competitive game it was also a frustrating game to watch...we were ahead 2-0 after the 1st period, but they they caught up and even though we scored another goal in the 3rd, they had scored 5 in the 2nd and 3rd. So we lost 3-5. Lots of practice still needed at this level. Bailey played good and hussles, just needs to be a little more aggressive. He plays 2 more games this weekend on Sat and then again on Sunday. I can make the one on Sat. but Sunday's game is later in the day and then I work.
I'll be missing a few games this year, which I'm not too happy about, but can't have every weekend off.
On Wed we had out local newspaper reporter come over for a interview. She is writing a story on Type 1 Diabetes and Hannah's story. Steve's sister Jen, works for the Delano Herald Journal. Our paper is called the Enterprise Dispatch, but is part of the Herlad Journal "family". Her paper suggested writing a story about diabetes and Hannah, and Jen then contacted our town's paper to have them come interview us for the story. I wasn't too sure about it all at first, but I think it will be informative for the commuinty.
Looking forward to reading our story in print.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did notice in one cutline Bailey's name is spelled wrong... but other than that I thought the story was great:)
It's a good way to promote awareness.
See you on Christmas.
Jen