This has been the hardest, most stressful thing I have ever been though. Nothing compares. I know that it is supposed to get better, but it's been hard to see that far ahead. The days this last week have gone up and down in a moment. At times it looks as though things are starting to get better, than BAM...right back down to the beginning as we start all over. Monday right away her doses were changed. Hannah went back to school on Tuesday after talking with the school nurses later in the day Monday. The school part of it was actually a relief, as she did wonderful for the school nurse Tues. morning. Having a strange person, and a friend in the room for support, certainly made Hannah nervous and behave, not wanting to throw a mini fit in front of her friend.
I was supposed to come for the first test that morning before gym, but made it there a minute or 2 too late and she had aleady did the test. She said Hannah did fine. So all week I have just been "on call" for any problems and not had to go in each time. She did call me everyday though, to tell us her blood sugar was high. Tuesday/Wed. they wouldn't let her do gym, but after us calling the nurse from Children's she was allowed to do gym on Thursday even though she was still high....Exercise will bring down the levels to a degree, so they started checking her after gym on Thursday instead of before. She was still running high.
Tuesday she was in the 300's to high 200's all day and Wed was the worst she was in the 400's all day and yesterday was high 300's all day. So after several calls to the diabetes nurse all week, we have adjusted her breakfast dose the most throughout the week. The other meals and doses were slightly adjusted. I won't mention all the times this week, I have almost lost it....Hannah still gives me such a hard time with everything, she is a tad better for Steve but not much, and he hasn't had to do it all that much over the week. She gets so angry with it all, throws things, stalls, cries several times a day, whines, is unsure of so much....I try to stay calm for a few minutes before I have to just take charge, stop crying myself, and just do what needs to be done. I hate that it has to be such a struggle. She spent 10 minutes before having to get insulin last night, with a washcloth over her eye because she said her eye hurt, she was angry...I'm not even sure if her eye even hurt, more of a way to stall, she was throwing books, hitting her self in the eye, just plain mad at her eye, but I'm not so sure that was the real issue. I sat and watched her do this for 10 min before I had to just give her the insulin so she could eat supper and we could get ready for her program.
So today I figured things would start to look up, with our new doses to try. Well...time for a new plan again, for today...she went to bed with a tummy ache last night. She had her christmas concert for school last night and was feeling well. Besides that huge struggle at supper time, she was feeling good.
She had a hardboiled egg before bed, she only eats the white part and eggs are carb free, so she likes that as a snack sometimes now.
We no more than made it up to bed and she said her tummy hurt. We talked for awhile and then she went to sleep. About 10:30pm, I heard her throwing up--alot. I get so mad when the kids can't make it to the bathroom. What a awefull mess to clean up!! She laid in our bed while I did the clean up. uuggh. She threw up once more, but made it to the bathroom. I got everything clean and went back to bed.
I tested her then at 1:30am like I have been every night, and her level was 125--her overnight numbers have always been good (normal is 80-180). She woke up at 4am to throw up a little again, and slept then until morning, when I woke her up at 6:30 to test her and see how she was feeling for school. She was within range at 6:30, and let her go back to sleep, cuz she said her tummy still hurt, and decided then that school wasn't gonna work today.
After a few more hours, I checked on her and she wanted to eat, so I gave her a small version of her normal breakfast, and counted carbs and give her insulin. Her breakfast dose was just raised, so I gave her 3 units for carb coverage. It was more my fault than anything, giving her the insulin before I knew if she would actually eat a normal breakfast after throwing up all night. We have to normally give it before she eats, so it's kinda hard to guesstimate what she will actually eat, but today I should have waited, being that she wasn't feeling too well. She didn't and wouldn't eat anything. So I started to freak out a little, knowing she just got insulin.
She was at 97 mg/dl, at 8:30am and knew her levels would start to drop alot now. I tried to convince her to eat/drink. I made calls to the nurse and clinic in St Paul. She didn't get back to me until 10:30am, which I had already tested her at 10am and she was at 47 already...I convinced Hannah she had to drink juice and eat some fruit snacks, and then at 10:30 it was at 67. Still way too low. Although she wasn't showing any real significant signs of being that low, she was weak and shakey. Then at 10:30 the nurse calls me back and I'm a mess. She talks me through the Glucogon shot. We have an emergency "low" kit. Never thought I'd have to use it already. We haven't been educated on that too much yet, or about sick days, which is at her 2 week check on the 23rd, so I was a little lost as to what to do.
So I gave her 10 units of glucogon,per nurse Jodi, at 10:40 or so, and when I checked her blood sugar at 11am it was already up to 215...ahhhhh, and then at 11:30 it was 224 and also checked for ketones in her urine- negative for now.:) If she starts to produce ketones I need to call the urgent line back. The Glucogon perked her up almost immediately and she sat up to color.
She will not eat or drink right now, and the nurse said I have to try to keep her hydrated with carbs, and after she has kept that down for 30 min then give her her insulin coverage dose. So far I haven't even been able to get her to drink. We'll see what the rest of the day brings. I'm hoping she is drinking and eating maybe soup or something by supper time. She fell asleep now, so will test her in about 30minutes and try all day to get some fluids in her.
Nurse Jodi has been so helpful the past week, she also thinks now that maybe the reason Hannah's numbers were so high this week, was she was trying to fight off this virus she now has. Hannah also had a slight upper respiratory thing late last week when we first discovered all this, so her body was fighting off a bunch of viruses, which maybe made for a rough week all around.
THANKS FOR THE PRAYERS. I'VE NEVER NEEDED THEM SO MUCH AS NOW.
No comments:
Post a Comment