Thursday, August 21, 2008

NO VACANCY

I am in full swing of training for front desk at the hotel only 6 more days to go....it doesn't sound like it would be a hard thing to learn, but man...there is a TON of stuff to know. My brain is overwhelmed. I basiclly observed the 4-10:30 shift last night, and found it interesting to be there at that time of day/night. Then today after not getting much sleep, finally fell asleep around midnight...I got back up and worked my housekeeping shift 9am until 12:45, and then quick changed clothes, freshened up, grabbed a drink and started in on front desk training, from 1-4pm. She said I could take a break and come back from 2-8pm, but she just told me that after hosuekeeping, and that wasn't the plan, and already had things worked out for the kids until 4pm, so I just stayed and took no break until I was done at 4pm. Crazy. I will do it all over again tomorrow.

Besides the phone script, which needs to be followed to a T, there is also the computer, which is filled with many unusual things to learn and know. I feel a little lost, but I finally answered my first phone call today, and it was a basic reservation for Labor Day weekend. I did most of it on my own, but my manager was training me today, and she helped me get through it, or I never would have made it...she actually said I did a really good job and was impressed. However I felt as though I didn't do all that well and was fumbling through it. I tried to sound professional and like I had it all together, but it was tough. As soon as I have this computer stuff all figured out it should go more smoothly. (I hope). My first day of working the desk myself is Labor Day from 8-2, so I have a week more of training and trying to get myself built up to handle the day alone. My manager is awesome, she is a young 22 yrs old, and has already worked for the company for 5 years. She started in housekeeping when she was 16 and then moved to front desk and then general manager the last few years.
She is very flexible, helpful, spunky, goofy, SO blonde, and just happy all the time. She really doesn't have too much to complain about since she just got married in June, so everything in her mind is perfect right now. I like that about her and everyone else there is so nice, at least the regulars who have been there awhile.

After my training I will still work housekeeping during the week mostly, with maybe an evening shift of desk mixed in the week, and then every other weekend at the desk with weekends off in housekeeping (hopefully). I'm excited to learn and be done with the newness of the training, and just be able to understand it all and do my job well.

Still searching for that vet tech job, but as the years go by, my career path seems to be fading. I became recertified for the years June 2008- June 2010 recently again, so I still have the title of CVT. I had many credits from the past couple of years I never used when I decided to recertify in 2006, so I used them all up for this next certification. Now by June 2010, I will need 10 credits which should be a breeze, since I've done 60 in just months before.

No comments: