Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bailey's conference.

Bailey had a teacher's conference last night, and it was student led. Bailey had to take me through all he has been learning and how he thinks he is doing, etc.
He practiced beforehand in class, but nonetheless he was still nervous, although he will tell you he wasn't. He did fine. His teacher only injected a few things, otherwise, Bailey spent the entire 15 min leading the conference. The MCA tests are coming up this spring again, and he went through what his scores were the past 2 years.
His communications class which involves; vocabulary,grammar and spelling, he is doing very well in, the communications grade is a B+, and spelling tests is an A+,@ 101%, he gets the challenge words right too. Woo Hoo!!

Math is another story....he has been learning mutiplication, division, fractions, scientific notation, base ten, shorthand, average, order of operations....don't even ask me what some of that is. It just must be a hard class, as he is getting a D+
(77%), but she based that on using only 4 assignments/tests she has graded. She doesn't grade homework, as it is practice for them, and hasn't added into consideration yet a few other tests or attendance and participation. So she fully expects his grade to get to a C fairly easily, but still....The class average is a C for the class, how tough is that for a 5th grader. Bailey says he understands most of it, but struggles with some concepts. I told him he needs to ask more questions then. I asked her about how we never really see any math homework come home to maybe help him with it, and his teacher explained that they do most of it during class or homework free-time, because alot of the concepts that they teach now days the parents can't help much.....I agreed with her, and put Bailey into her hands to help him understand math. I know what it's like to struggle in math, so I hope he asks questions now and gets a grap on these concepts, to make future math classes better....it doesn't get any easier. I think by the end of the year he'll come out of it a little better.

Science is going well and he is at the class average with 83% which is a B. They have learned alot about the solar system recently and Bailey enjoys that.

Finally, there is Social Studies, which he is getting a 90% (A-). He says the class is boring, but likes the teacher, Mr Schmidt, so I guess that can help some.

He is passing Phy-ed, Music, and Keyboarding.( he finished Art and went into Keyboarding now). Gosh I wasn't in keyboarding--well we called it typing back then--until 9th or 10th grade. He also says he doesn't like that class, but as long as he tries his best. He just finished up swimming in Phy-ed which was the last 3 weeks, which he hated--he is so nervous about not being as good of a swimmer as his classmates, but he got through it fine. Next on the agenda is floor hockey, I believe- he's happy about that!!

Band he is getting what looks to be a B. I'm not sure how the grading works, as we didn't get a chance to talk to Mr Roser, but he is doing well.
Bailey has decided he doesn't want to do band anymore and has been restating this several times in the last month or so. He has to continue on this year, because it's required, and he made the decision and commitment to play. I'm not really sure what changed his mind, he just says he doesn't like it anymore and it's getting too hard. I'm kinda bummed that he might just quit after only 1 year and I'm hoping he'll change his mind....he knows we can't afford the trumpet if he quits, so we'll have to return it....I guess for now, he will continue on, and we'll see what next school year brings. His next concert is February 24 @ 7pm, so for now we are looking forward to that.

No comments: