Monday, January 5, 2009

A bunch of hockey games, HE SHOOTS! HE SCORES! and a tough loss



BAILEY # 24


BAILEY #24-- he has the puck and he's off...

Bailey and 'dad' had a busy hockey weekend. I was able to attend 2 of the 5 games he had this past weekend. They were in a tournament in Paynesville and had a game Friday night, but I had to suddenly work at the desk, last minute for a girl that was sick. They won that 1st game vs River Lakes 3-1. On Saturday they had another tournament game and they played really well together vs St Peter, and dominated the game. Bailey even had 2 goals, which was real cool. Goals don't come easy for Bailey at this level, so it was neat to see some of his confidence come out during that game and he really looked good, as did the entire team. I wish it would have been a little more competitive, but the kids skated hard and won 9-2. We went out for lunch as a team after, and I just bearly made it home to change and leave right away for work. Getting our lunch took forever,about an hour..... as 2 other teams were at this bar/restaurant eating lunch and they were SO busy.

Later that day they had a home game vs Mound-Westonka, in some very bad weather the kids from Mound made it to Litchfield. There was freezing rain and then a few hours of snow, which made for some very bad roads later on. I hope they all made it home safe. I know I drove 30 miles an hour coming home from work that night.
The team lost to Mound, 2-8, not sure how that game went, maybe the kids were tired,
but most likely Mound is just a bit better team as they have been in the past.

Sunday then, they went back to play the last tournament game in Paynesville and lost to Alexandria 1-5. Alex was a bit better again, and LDC just couldn't pull it together.
Later on Sunday they came back to play a home game vs Sartell, which I made it to before work again. That was the most exciting game of them all....the kids came out and showed alot of energy and agressiveness in the 1st period. I thought they'd be pretty worn out by now, being this was the 5th game played in 3 days.
They scored 3 goals in the 1st period, including one by Bailey--YEAH!!! The kids were pumped!! The 2nd period showed it's effects, and they lost their lead and Sartell tied it up 3-3 by the end of the 2nd. LDC was nervous now, and they don't know how to handle close games well at all. They didn't fight to win, instead they became sloppy, not playing positions, not passing like they did in the 1st, they lost all confidence....and at this age confidence in their ability is what seems to matter the most...playing positions helps too. It was a game they should have won.....and actually we thought it would be a tie....until Sartell scored with less than a second left in the game...literally...after they scored the clock stopped at 0.09...not even a second left. The kids were devistated, the goalie felt aweful, although, it is never entirely the goalies fault, our kids were just struggling in the end to get the puck out of their zone. It was amazing. Of course Sartell was estatic....and LDC was all in shock. We have to be strong for our boys though, and assured them it was a good game...although Bailey didn't care and even had tears forming....it's a tough loss.
He came home in sort of a depression, and laid on the couch all covered up....he snapped out of it pretty quick, but those games are tough on them.
I am so proud of him either way and he scored 3 GOALS !!! He played awesome. I like the games where he isn't so hesitant, and his confidence soars.

No comments: