Sunday, May 24, 2009

a concert in church?

WELS Christian performer, recording artist, and songwriter, Chris Driesbach came to our church this morning, and we had a mini concert. It was quite the treat and the kids and I really enjoyed listening to him. I wish Steve would have been there to hear him as well, but he had to work.

Chris is from Crown of Life Lutheran church in New Orleans, LA. His congregation was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in Aug 2005. It was rebuilt one year later, by generous people and donations, including "Builders for Christ". He has since travelled all over the US performing.

The interesting thing about Chris is that he did not grow up a christian, never went to church, never was baptized, never believed in God, he considered himself a athiest until he was in his mid 30's. He got married and had 2 children, but drove his family away, when he became addicted to alcohol and almost killed himself with the drug. He then realized it was time to change and found Faith Lutheran church,in Anckorage, Alaska where he was living at the time-- took a Bible information class, and many in depth disscussions with his new pastor, sending all of his hardest questions towards the pastor, all of which the pastor answered as he read from the Bible. All the answers to his questions were Bible based and not man made ideas. He truly believes it was the gift of the Holy Spirit that led him to Jesus. He is now at amends with his children as well.

He is a very moving singer and songwriter, and I had to fight back the tears throughout. He gave away his CD's after church with an optional donation. He had a kids CD, and 2 of his most recent CD's, one just having come out in March of this year. So the kids and I were eager to grab them up, with a donation of course.

To learn more about Chris Driesbach, get a CD or find out where he will be performing go to:
http://chrisdriesbach.com/Home_Page.html

I have a favorite song of his already called-- "I Can't Believe It, But I Do"

No comments: