Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hannah's "high"

Hannah has gotton a cold over the last day or so, and woke this morning feeling a bit conjested, and coughing like a barking dog. She settled into her morning by sleeping in until about 8:30am, and when testing her blood sugar this morning she was in the mid 60's. It's been awhile since her morning blood sugar was that low. So she ate immediately. Had her take a morning shower to loosen up her chest, and the steamy bathroom seemed to help some, along with just being up and moving around.

I never gave her any insulin for the carbs she ate for breakfast, she insisted she didn't need it, because she was so low this morning and said she felt fine. So I listened to my 7 yr old tell me what to do (yet again).

At lunch time I checked her blood sugar and she was 493. HOLY COW...and she was even playing outside while I cut the grass this morning. I informed her that she will now be listening to me when it comes to insulin doses. Although it could have went the opposite way, and if I did give her insulin, she could have been too low at lunch. It's different every time and getting that happy medium is impossible most times. I expect to see the lows however, it's how her body reacts to the insulin right now, and we've become accustomed to the lows so to speak.
Seeing her that high, kinda shocked me, even though I knew she ate 86 grams of carbs with no insulin, figuring she could be right, that being in the 60's wouldn't get her too high. That high though just reminded me of when she was sick and ultimately diagnosed.
So with the cold, she does have the tendancy to run high and be more tired, plus not giving her any insulin to cover those morning carbs didn't help.

She was struggling with her nose and was looking really tired after lunch, so I suggested she go take a nap, thinking she would never agree to that. Hannah and naps are non exsistant. She is an on the go, talking machine that never quits until bedtime. So I was surprised to see that she did go right up in her bed with her blankie and kleenex box close by and slept for at least 2 hours.

No comments: