
Bailey can start band in the fall in 5th grade. Hard for me to think of him in middle school so soon. He seems excited about band, and it was his choice whether he wanted to or not. In school a week or so ago the middle school band teacher came to the elem. school and tried out mouth pieces on the kids, and with Bailey's intrest in the trumpet, Mr R. thought it was a good fit. Last night we went to Instrument Night at the middle school gym, and made the commitment to band. We leased a trumpet from Eckroth Music in Waite Park.
Schmiddt Music was also there from Minnetonka. So we had options, but I just decided to stick with the bit closer one.
Mr Rosner explained the expectations of band, grading, options of instruments etc. He said that 20 min 6 days a week is the expectation for practice and there are 3 concerts per school year. Bailey will be one busy boy now that we have to squeeze in homework, band and hockey. I hope it won't be too much for him, but my plan as a parent is to come up with more of a schedule for myself to help him manage his time without stressing him out, so he can still enjoy these things that make him a kid and a achiever.
Elementary school I just kinda winged it in regards to homework vs hockey. Soemtimes we forgot things, sometimes things got a little hectic, sometimes we just felt rushed or unorganized.
I played the clarient for 6 years, so I can relate to Bailey's interest in that respect. I remember first starting out, sounding like I was calling geese to my house with my beginning talent. It turned into something I was proud of, and I remember the first time playing in group band after learning how to play your so used to just hearing yourself play, I thought it was so awesome to know that I was a part of what was making all the sounds of music I heard, at first even as bad as we were.
I think Bailey will enjoy band, hopefully throughout the rest of his school years. He has the option of switching instruments or giving it up if he feels that band is not for him.
We will be making $30/mo payments on the trumpet starting in Nov. for 36 months, until it's paid off then he owns it. If he decides to quit, our payments stop and we return the instrument. His trumpet will be delivered to the school on Aug 25, and he'll be ready to start band when school starts.
No comments:
Post a Comment