I dont' have kids quite old enough for college, but the thought of it, is not too far down the road, and will seem like time just flew by, when it happens. I treasure the fact they are growing and learning every day, and I (mostly) enjoy the different stages they are going though. Going through and learning all the things they will need to carry them along in this world, most importantly that they have God in their lives to lean on always. That alone will get them them through anything life throws at them.
I have been trying to keep Bailey on a close leash, but to much avail it has not been working out. The leash is getting longer every day. One comment I always make is let me know where you are going. He has neighborhood friends within a few blocks and now with the nicer weather it has been a concern to me, and a bit stresssful, that he just goes on his bike and forgets to tell me where he is.(of course I pretty much know where he is), but it's that mother in me that I want him close by or where I can see him and just to make sure he gets in the habit of telling me. I also rememeber being a kid and growing up in a small city, and running around the neighborhood too. So I can relate and let him have as much freedom as I can tolerate as a mom. I'm pretty laid back with it all, but it's also new to me in the parent role, so I just have to make sure everything is fine all the time..... the world is a crazy place.
He forgot just recently to tell me where he went, and I was getting concerned, because he apparently forget to not only tell me where he was, but also that he had hockey prcatice to get to shortly after school, and we needed to grab a earlier supper and pick up his friend for hockey as well, and I was on my own for all of this. Found him just in time, and he was with his neighbor friends doing a nature walk in the streets of Dassel, for a school project. When I found him finally, I was a tad upset, but also just glad he was close by and fine. So I had to reitterate in my stong motherly voice that I NEED to know where you are, I may not be able to see him always, but at least my heart would be settled knowing where he is and not wandering the streets of Dassel without me knowing about it.
Right now I sent him off to baseball try outs. The baseball field is about 2 blocks away, so I gave him the independance to ride his bike there. He seemed pretty proud to just go himself. Hannah and I will probably go in a bit to check out the practice.
Also the other day he went back to the school basketball court to play with his friend, who was waiting after school for his dad to pick him up, so I said it was ok for Bailey to go "hang out" with his friend, but said to come home when Derek left. Bailey came home at 5:30pm ( usually 5pm is my friend cut off) and said he was playing basketball with a different friend and 2 5th graders. What happened to Derek, I said, ....oh he went home a long time ago, Bailey says. Well I'm glad he had fun playing basketball and all, but again that was not the plan. So we have some tweeks to work out, with his newly found expanded independance.
Hannah is the same way on a smaller level...very independant. She knows she can't go anywhere alone or with a friend yet, she can go to Elizabeth's house or Kendall's house and no further. She has just learned to ride her bike so she is cruising all over back and forth. We do a have street between the girls houses with only a yield sign to slow cars down, and have been trying to teach her to stop and look before just crossing, but Kendall never looks, and Elizabeth is better at slowing and looking before crossing without having to stop completly, but I'd just assume Hannah stop and look, but it's tough to teach when her friends don't do it as well.
All this new found expanded independance is making my heart probably pound a little faster....all part of being a parent and I'm not sure I still am ready for what's yet to come. Just trying to make sure my children are safe and having fun at the same time.
******************************************************************************


Bailey had some dissapointing end of the season hockey games yesterday night.
First he played at the Schwans Super Rink in Blaine. They played Blaine again, and lost worse than last time. Believe the score was like 14-1.(they stopped keeping score after 8 goals) We were missing 5 players, all who are our top players. They were at another leagues hockey tournament in Fargo. Bailey did score the only goal though. He had to lead the team, and had some chances, just not enough team support.
We had enough time to grab McDonalds for supper and then headed to another rink close by in Blaine,(Fogerty Arena) and there they played Anoka. Anoka had a similar team as us, but with 1/2 our team missing, it was another not so pretty game...and we lost 5-1.
So it was a pretty disappointing season, but I think Bailey learned alot and kinda got to be a team leader, he got many more chances with the puck, than in the LDC regular season, and was able to practice game stragities and moves, without it being too overwhelming. He had fun, but as always it's frustrating to always be on the loosing end of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment