Monday, May 12, 2008

Bailey's headaches update

Bailey has been on his headache preventative medicine for almost 4 months already. It's been a challenge to remember giving it to him twice a day, but it's getting easier. It's been a challenging road the last few years, but I think he may be closer to managing them, and he seems happier. Once we think that we have it under control, he gets a few for no apparent reason. We still haven't figured out all the whys?
He started out on a 10 mg dose for the first month, and then has been on 20 mg now for the last 3 months. We are due for a refill mid May, so I had to call the Dr.

She said he needs a follow up appt., which I knew was coming, and in fact is over due by a few months, just trying to prolong it until after school is out, plus I'm not sure that the trip to Mpls. to be seen is actually necessary, but it's also nice to talk face to face, instead of figuring this stuff out over the phone. So I set up a appt. the end of July, while she asked how things were going. It's kinda ify, as I'm not sure if this medicine is suppose to prevent his headaches altogether, or even one or 2 a month would be nice, (not any are nice for Bailey), but it would seem more managable anyway.
The first 3 months have not been any better than without the meds per say. In January after starting the meds, he had 9, in Feb after raising the dose, he still had 8, in March he had 7. So there is a obvious decline, but not enough to say it's working, still seems like too many to me. His average is 6-10/mo. anyway, without the meds. For the mid April to mid May month he's had 2 so far. He has a week left, but only getting 2-3 this month has been a large improvement, a month where I can finally say, maybe this will work.

I'd like to give this medicine a chance, and glad I dont' have to talk to the Dr. until the end of July. That gives us more time to see if this is really the right dose. If he gets only 2-3 headaches the next few months that is a sign that it might be working. I'd like to see them gone altogether if we are gonna be giving him medicine, but also summer is just around the corner, and the 2 times he got the headaches this month it was a warm, rather hot day. So if it's not one trigger, it's something else. That's the tough part trying to figure out the why each time.

So with some more headache free days in his life lately, Bailey is excited for summer....... no more school, playing with friends, swimming, baseball, basketball camp, family time with some travelling involved. ( I guess WI/IL is all the further we get to go this summer).
And keeping on the health note, I made myself a appointment for a physical next Monday. I haven't been to the doctor for a check up since I was 21, and even that was a required physical for attending college, and they basiclly just made sure I was alive, it was pretty basic. I'm a bit nervous about seeing a new Dr. and for accessing all the things Dr's might discuss at my age. I'm not scared of needles, blood, tests, exams, etc, just got that nervous, concerned about aging, weight issues, worry about the unknown feeling, and esp. self conscious about my weight. I know everything will be fine, I am ridiculously healthy (besides all the conditions my weight might cause), which is why I need to do this, get a baseline in depth exam for my future health record. At least I'll have something to go back on as I age, besides the goofy physical I had at 21....which I'm not even sure where on record that even is.

No comments: