Thursday, June 19, 2008

gymnastics

Hannah went to her first gymnastics class today. She didn't want me to watch, so to make her happy to begin with, Bailey and I left for a few minutes while class started, and we walked around the middle school and Bailey kinda showed me around, and he tried to remember where things were too.

All the other parents and siblings stayed in the gym so we snuck back in to watch, well I'm sure she saw us, but she did fine.

She has alot to learn, as they didn't teach much, and just had them start doing. I guess that is a good way to teach, but for the ones that have never experienced gymnastics before it was a little overwhelming, but she seemed to adjust fine.
Some of those girls, I can tell have done this alot before. They are all k-1st graders but still Hannah can bearly do a sommersault, and they had them doing backwards sommersaults too. They did alot of stretches, and some coordinated skipping and jumping and even the splits already. I found out Hannah is not as coordinated in this "sport" as I thought she might be, she was definatly a little stiff and tense, and not very flexible. Her legs just can't do the splits yet!!!!!! It's her first attempts though, and I thought she did good for a first try. She needed quite a bit of help with the backwards sommersaults, but now she knows how to do it and can practice. She picks up stuff pretty easy, so I bet she improves alot in the next 5 weeks. Some of those girls where just flipping around like nothing. She also did soemthing called the bridge, and if you can picture it you have to be pretty flexible for that one. She can do it to a point. Then she got to do some stuff on the lower balance beam, even a sommersault on the beam and some jumping too.

She didnt' get a chance for her group to go over to the uneven bars, but that she says will be next week. When I asked her if she liked it, she smiled and said yes, but you weren't supposed to watch me, she says. I liked watching what she learned and now I can help her practice. Bailey was a little bored, but it was only about an hour and seemed more like 10 min, the time went by so fast.

Hopefully at some point I can get some pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah: Grandpa and I would have loved to come and see your gymnastic's but we won't be able to make it to Dassel before your classes are over so you will just have to show us what you are learning when we see you in Illinois or when you come here over the 4th of July.
Hope you are having fun this summer.
See you soon in Illinois!!
Love, Linda (Grandma)